Psychiatrists in San Francisco
Serving individuals in San Francisco California, Prairie Health specializes in providing online psychiatry services to help adults dealing with depression or anxiety. We approach mental healthcare in a modern and sophisticated manner through the use of online appointments, genetics-informed medication plans, and ongoing support.
Or schedule a free consultation to learn more.
Safe & compliant
Highly skilled mental health experts and full HIPAA compliance
- Book your appointment online
- Visits over secure video call
- Proactive check-ins
- Prescriptions handled for you
- 100% judgment-free care
- Care collaboration ?
Prairie's highly-skilled psychiatrists can help you with a variety of mental health conditions.
Our expert psychiatrists specialize in a variety of psychiatric problems, and collectively offer decades of experience treating adults with various conditions, including but not limited to the following:
While Prairie is working to expand our support to more patients, we are unable to prescribed controlled substances, which are often used for the treatment of the following :
Our doctors can prescribe non-controlled mental health medications, including SSRIs, NDRIs, SNRIs and alpha-agonists. In most cases, prescriptions involve one (or more) of the following medications:
SSRIs: Citalopram, Escitalopram, Fluoxetine, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine, Sertraline.
SNRIs: Atomoxetine, Buspirone, Desvenlafaxine, Duloxetine, Venlafaxine.
TCAs: Amitryptyline, Desipramine, Nortryptyline.
Others: Bupropion, Trazodone, Topiramate, Propranolol.
Expert Psychiatric Services in
San Francisco California
Customized Treatment Plan
Unrivaled Support & Care
We offer a range of services to clients in the Fresno, California area.
Prairie Psychiatry offers clients an integrated approach to easing their mental health disorders, such as anxiety and depression. We offer:
Prairie Health’s psychiatry service incorporates pharmacogenomics testing, to help prescribe more suitable medication, minimizing the chance of side effects, for a successful, responsive treatment.
Depression affects the health and well-being of adults in all aspects of life. Prairie's Custom Depression Treatment creates an individualized treatment experience.
=ur custom anxiety treatment creates a personalized treatment plan tailored to individual clients. Our psychiatrists are expertly trained in social, general, and ADHD-related anxiety.
Some Common Questions
1) Answer a few questions to see if we are able to support you, and decide whether you are interested in psychiatry (for medication) or talk therapy. For psychiatry, you have the option to receive a free pharmacogenetic test in the mail, which your psychiatrist uses to personalize your treatment and reduce your risk of side effects based on the way in which your body metabolizes medication.
2) Schedule a judgment-free, full-length evaluation with one of our expert providers. This initial session is conducted via a secure, online video visit and lasts about 50 minutes.
3) Complete your intake form before your visit so your provider has the information needed for your appointment.
4) During the first online visit, your provider will review your medical and mental health history, talk about your goals, make or confirm your diagnosis and propose a treatment plan.
5) If you are prescribed medication(s), you will have the option to have it delivered or to pick it up at your preferred pharmacy.
6) For psychiatry, you will typically see your doctor for short online visits once a month for the first few months to better tailor your treatment plan. Once your treatment plan is optimized, you may meet with your provider once every 3-4 months. Of course, you always have the choice of seeing your provider more often if necessary.
For therapy, appointments occur weekly.
Prairie Health is available in California to adults (age 18 or older) with mental health conditions like depression, mild bipolar, insomnia or anxiety disorders like generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD and panic disorder.
We do not prescribe controlled medications like benzodiazepines or stimulants. That means we are not a good fit for people with ADHD seeking medication like Adderall or Vyvanse.
- Active substance abuse
- Borderline personality disorders
- Severe bipolar
- Severe eating disorder(s)
- Severe OCD
- Severe personality disorders
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Suicide attempt(s) in the last 3 years
- Unspecified psychosis
We are not able to support people with the following conditions:
We will be expanding to more states and supporting additional conditions over time, so check back frequently.
For our psychiatry services, Prairie accepts Medicare and some commercial insurances like Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California and Cigna. For the latest on what insurances we support, please review our Insurance page.
For Prairie Therapy, our therapists are considered out-of-network providers. Our Care Coordinators can help you get reimbursements from your health plan.
If you have an insurance plan we aren’t in network with, we can bill your insurance on your behalf, so you can receive reimbursement. Often, this reimbursement is 60-80% back for PPO plans.
You may be able to use your insurance to cover your medication copay if you decide to opt out of medication delivery and use your own pharmacy.
You are solely responsible for payment
If you have health insurance we accept, your exact costs depend on your specific plan. See our Insurance page for more details. The below are our cash rates.
Psychiatry: the initial 50-minute intake costs $295, and 20-minute follow-up appointments cost $160.
Therapy: 50-minute sessions occur weekly and cost $210.
Different genes mean different responses to medication. Prairie conducts genetic testing via a spit sample in order to help psychiatrists personalize dosing decisions and avoid medications your body will not process well. By doing so, we minimize potentially serious side effects and ensure your care journey is as smooth as possible. Visit our genetic testing page to learn more about how it works and why we include this in care.
1) You are able to schedule your appointment with your psychiatrist as soon as possible, often within a matter of days.
2) When you sign up, you have the option to receive a genetic test delivered to you free of charge. Once you receive your genetic testing kit, send us back your saliva sample right away. Your results are typically processed within 2 weeks of the lab receiving your sample.
3) During your first visit (the intake), your psychiatrist will discuss your symptoms and medical history. If you completed a genetic test and your results are ready, your psychiatrist will incorporate them when crafting your personalized treatment plan from the start. This enables them to better tune your prescription dosage and avoid medications your body likely will not process well.
4) If prescribed, you can pick up your medication at your preferred pharmacy or choose to have it delivered to your door for a flat $15/month per medication.
5) Continue to meet with your psychiatrist to ensure you are on the right track and treatment is working as expected. Expect more frequent visits if you are starting on a new medication and less frequent visits if your medication is working well.
If you’re in emotional distress, text HOME to connect with a counselor immediately.
If you’re having a medical or mental health emergency, call 911 or go to your local ER.